November 18, 2004

The Shoveler

Sadie Mirth, posting over at Straight White Guy, has posted the results of a silly superhero quiz.

Whatever.

But...

The silly superhero quiz reminded me of a silly superhero movie. I don't hold it to be in the same sill cult classic category as Big Trouble in Little China, but it did amuse me: Mystery Men.

The movie as a whole is a funny conceit: Second-rate superheroes whose powers aren't all that super - a guy who get really angry, a guy who is invisible when no one is looking, a woman who throws bowling balls. The execution of the conceit is rather weak. The part I really enjoyed was the quiet performance "The Shoveler" by William H. Macy.



"Unhand that boy... or you're mulch!"

Explaining why he works to fight evil, he simply says, "I shovel well. I shovel very well."

I really identify with this character; I'm not spectacularly good at anything. I'm pretty much across-the-board average.

But I do try to make my little corner of the world a better place.

That's what matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home