December 13, 2004

I'd Prefer Viceroy, Weak Excuses, The Real Reason Behind Sadie's Disappearing Act, and the Defintion of "Christian."

Heh.

The Foreign Minister emerged from his cocoon whilst your humble Smallholder remained awol.

You Minister of Agriculture is suffering from big-post-itis. I'm working on a post about the bittersweet market day when I took my lads to the butcher. Vater Smallholder and I had a heckuva day. But I haven't been able to get the post to where I like it.

Blogger's block, if you will.

I have also had interims, test grading, and SOL reviews to complete for the paying gig.

But I digress. The Maximum Leader is not one for excuses anyway (unless offered on behalf of the administration, which is why I was a little surpirsed at his Rummy post).

What I regret most about my absence has been the innocents who suffer. Sadie Mirth seems to have taken my silence hard; she has gone on a hunger and blogging strike pending my return. No need to be coy about your reasons, dear; the Maximum Leader will probably figure out your preference for chopped liver soon enough.

As a quick hit, the Maximum Leader asks about labeling religion. His example, I fear is not apt; the word "Christian" refers, by definition, to someone who accepts the divinity of Christ. I grew up believing that Chirst was simply Jesus' last name, but believe it or not, Christ isn't really a bit of Josephian patrimony. The word means "messiah and son of god." So if you say "Jesus Christ," you are naming a historical figure and declaring your acceptance of his divinity. I have had to work very hard in my world history class to avoid improper terminology. It is quite proper for me to explain to my kids that Jesus the historical figure was perceived by many of his followers to be the Son of God. But I ought not to use my position of public trust to proselytize for my interpretation that he was indeed the Christ.

Perhaps Bill over at Bill's Comments or the good Kevin at Big Hominid can rework the content of the last paragraph into a semblence of scholarly consideration. I can't. Too tired.

Posting will most likely remain light until Christmas break.

All the best of the season to our happy little corner o' the blogosphere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home