January 06, 2004

Python / Bush / Little People

Mr. Ag below says "I guess the lyrics aren't, by themselves, particularly funny. Delivery matters." I completely agree. Python isn't about the actual words, or punchlines, it's about context, and delivery. Much of it is funny purely because it's absurd and just plain silly.

That's why you aren't funny when you recite "Holy Grail" lines in your bad british accent.

Regarding our current president, One of the main things I dislike about Bush, is he reveals how much todays party loyalists are, in the words of Seinfeld, "just rooting for the shirt." Bush isn't really conservative. He's pro-Business and pro-Religious Right. There's nothing traditionally conservative about him except his suits. Idealogically, he's a mish mash of so much crap that it's difficult to nail down anything solid, except his love for, and his pandering to big business. Everything he does seems aimed at either making his oil buddies richer, or setting himself up for the 2004 campaign. There hasn't been as ideologically void a president since I've been paying attention to politics.

Bush also seems to have no clue about what I deem to be true American values, like the liberties and freedoms outlined in the bill of rights. Not only does he seem clueless, he doesn't seem to care.

The nail in the whole coffin is how freaking incompetant the Dems have been. Where's the opposition? Sitting at home picking their noses? The one lesson to be learned from the George Dubya era is that the GOP is focused on maintaining power with little real agenda, and the Democrats exist, but only God knows why.

I have to finish by thanking Max Leader and his family for my daughters Christmas Present. (here). The Fisher Price Little People toys are great toys. My daughter loves them, and the line goes way way back to the 60s. Courtesy of my parents who never throw things out, my daughter now loves playing with my Little People airport circa 1970.

My one gripe about Little People toys is the inclusion of a video in every box. Videos that are nothing more than 20 minute commercials for Little People products. OK, we've already bought your stuff, so why give US a commercial? I guess you expect us to buy more. Too bad there are only three of these videos. Then again, maybe that's smart. Maybe you know we'll pass on all these extra vids to friends kids, and then they'll be sucked in.

Anyway, for parents unfamiliar with these toys, I highly recoment Little People toys. The farm is a classic, the circus train rules, and Noah's ark seems to be right up there. The zoo would be better if the sounds weren't so lame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home