February 11, 2005

Chicken Order

I'm sure most of you have been unable to sleep without knowing what chicken breeds would be added to Sweet Seasons Farm this year.

Okay, okay, probably not.

But at least the Foreign Minister might share my joy.

I am getting:

Brown Egg Layers

New Hampshire Reds - Relatives of the highly productive Rhode Island Reds, but without the inbreeding. I'm hoping they will be hardy enough to graze grass and lay eggs at a fast rate.

Buff Orpingtons - Not the best layers, but they are a stolid, phlegmatic and friendly breed. I also just like to look at them. An old-style farmstead breed.

Black Austrolorps - An Australian breed that supposedly is good with children.

Barred Rocks - An old farm production breed - but not suped up for confinement life - so they should be pretty hardy and prolific.

White Egg Layers

Brown Leghorns - Like the New Hampshire Reds, they were the foundation for modern commercial breeds, but at the 1950s genetic level.

Pearl White Leghorns - The modern white egg layer used by the big boys. I'm curious if they can survive without being doped to the gills with antibiotics.

Buff Minorcas - A Southern European light-bodied bird that supposedly is a good grazing animal.

Anconas - There is no solid farming reason for getting a couple of these - I just thought they looked interesting.

One Golden Polish hen - Because they are so ridiculous. I think I'll name her Mike.

Green Egg Layers

Araucanas - My customers love the green shells. Some say that they can taste a distinct difference. They are also not as standardized as other breeds so have a wide variety of coloration - all of them will be identifiable as individuals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home