May 24, 2004

Vices of the FM

Everybody seems to make fun of American beer... at least most of the places that I have lived and visited in Europe.

My usual retort to these folks is that in General, Americans work a lot harder than most people and our climate is "warm" so we appreciate a nice crisp clean beer more than our European brethren. Especially after a day of working in the Yard or playing sports.

Dare I mention Ice House or Genuine Draft? Not too expensive and is good with American food.

In England, I LOVED the real ales. These are beers that are still fermenting and need to be at a certain temperature (mid 50s to low 60s). This is where everyone gets the idea that the English/Europeans like "warm" beer. Its not really warm, but is usually kept at celler temperature. If the beer is colder, like how we like American beer, the flavors are masked. Sadly, the new generation of British drinkers prefer nitro-keg beers (like in American bars). The beer is pasteurized and thus, not fermenting. The most popular beer in the UK when I left was an Import... Stella Artois.

The cool thing about Beer in the UK is that you get a pint, by law, which is a handy amount to get your beer in.

In Holland/Netherlands/Belgium, I think where Stella is from, they like their beers to come in small glasses that are 1/2 foam and 1/2 beer. They have a spatula-paddle thingy that the bartender scrapes the suds off when it starts to overflow from pouring it. Their philosophy is that in a small glass, your drink your beer when it is fresh and not let it sit in the glass for a long time (like with the English pint).

Germany has a lot of neat beers to. As with food, they have a lot of seasonal beers. During lent, they brew strong beers to help with your fasting... liquid bread. But they have Pils, Weizen, Bock, Hefe, Christmas beers and others. I like the dark ones myself but I always try to order something I have not had before.

Mixed drinks and Spirits.
I wish I liked Scotch more than I do. It is a cool drink to be seen drinking. I buy my dad various bottles of obscure Malts when I come to visit (in 3 weeks!). I got him a bottle of 50 year old scotch last time.... and boy was it smooth (and expensive). I liked one called Bennaiche. I think that is how it is spelled, but is is pronounced Ben-a-hee.

I like out of fashion old drinks too. A side car is one Brandy, Triple sec and Lemon.

I like wine a lot too. Which is fortunate because I live in Germany's largest wine growing region. Unfortunately, its white wine :( but I am learning to appreciate its nuances.

I have been smoking way more cigars than I should. And for my money, brandy is the drink to have with them. I am not too snobby about the brand of Brandy. My cigar of choice, however, has lately been the Partagas Series D no 4.
I chee wa wa!
A nice strong 30 minute smoke that helps me forget that so many people dear to me support Kerry.

Back to the trenches for another drink!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home