May 24, 2004

Summer Drinks

My favorite summer drink is a Corona with lime, sipped on the porch with friends or my Dad after a hard day's work. I love the pleasant feeling of muscle soreness as I sip on a cold one. I also learned how to add salt and to suck the resulting explosion while with the army in Texas.

When the Propaganda Minister is around, I'm partial to Heinekens, glorious reminders of our high school escapade to Burke Lake with Kirsten and Katy. I also recall his hysterical essay in the Yale Record that included a reference to "the time Mark and I slammed Heinekens at Demery's and ended up in the gutter in our underwear." Or the time we slammed Heinekens and ended up at a drama party - where we had such a great time dancing that we didn't notice the skewed sex ratio. No one hit on us - either they could tell we were heteros or they assumed we were a couple. Here's to old times, buddy.

I also have a soft spot for Rolling Rock - this was the drink of my high school years. The Laughing Lizard Lounge never carded so we would often go to comedy sports and order pitcher after pitcher of beer. Good times with Stu, John (the wildman turned accountant), Lisa, and Ann. And Occasionally the Propaganda Minister when he visited me. Here's to the whole Laughing Lizard Crowd. I don't think the underage drinking hurt us that badly. Stu's a doctor, John has become respectable, Lisa is a theatre manager, Ann's an academic folklorist, and I'm a... oh well. It didn't seem to hurt the other people.

See here for the legend of Rolling Rock's "33"

I'm not much for mixed drinks - my manliness quotient is lacking here. At the risk of turning in my man card, I will admit liking amaretto sours. But, (he hastens to add), I only drink those at places where mixed drinks are the norm - like country clubs or office parties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home