May 21, 2004

Rooting for the shirt

The Southern post below got me thinking.

Seinfeld had a great routine about sports fans in the era of free agency rooting for the shirt, not the team. The point being that the only identity the team has in the modern era comes from the uniforms. When guys bounce between rivals without a care in the world, it's difficult to maintain an attachment to the team concept.

That's what I think of when I hear conservative appologists for the Bush regime. Bush seems about as Republican to me as Jesse Jackson. Or Michael Jackson. Whichever. He's just a rich oil guy from Texas with a bunch of rich friend who happen to have won the White House. He has about as much of a clue as that little blond snot nosed brat who played Annakin in Episode I.

You don't have to like him, just cause he carries the same GOP card in his wallet that you do. You can still like Kerry less. But stop trying to paint Bush as some glorious leader. He's a shitty president with shrewd political handlers and big money. Maybe you feel you have to defend him because you feel he is one of yours. It's painful to read posts by Buckley and Will where they procede to out think out president in order to rationalize his policies. Guys, the presidents policies aren't thought out completely. Bush has out-punted his coverage and puntits are the guys trying to figure out how to block for a return when the punter screwed up. And, yes, the President should be a QB, but I feel a punter analogy is more appropriate for this guy.

And please don't respond by bashing Kerry. That's irrelevant. I'm talking about the loser who is in the White House now. I don't really like Kerry, and I won't defend him. I'm struggling with the problem of who would be worse since I think they'll both be bad presidents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home