January 20, 2004

Football

All in all this past weekend was a great weekend for football from my point of view.

Not a big fan of New England teams, but my Father in Law is from there, so I have no problem cheering for the Pats. As long as I can disassociate Pats fans from bitching and whining Bruins fans, I can root for the pats. Ugh. Bruins fans in '98 were just the biggest group of babies I've ever seen, when the Caps beat them in the playoffs. I've never seen a bigger bunch of sore losers. Maybe I don't like the Pats. Mrs. Villain is a big Pats fan, so at the very least I'll root for them for her sake. Plus there's something about seeing Peyton Manning Loose that I find oddly satisfying. Seeing that ugly, inbred, cornfed, redneck visage of his in abject despair is quite nice. Plus now I don't have to hear my wife tell me how dreamy he is.

As for the NFC game it was a good outcome for several reasons. First of all, I always liked Stephen Davis, and when he was here in DC, he was a great team player with a good attitude. I'm sorry Spurrier let him go (big mistake), but Davis is one of those players who I'll always root for. Secondly, I hate the Eagles. Seeing Philthadelphia lose is always good. But this was more than that. This was absolutely wonderful. McNabb has a horrible day, in big party due to his rib injury, but also his supporting cast just blows. The play calling was suspect at best... again. And while I think Carolina was just a better team, the Philly mentailty still says "Choke".

This is the city that has brought us such paragons of sports virtue as Ron Hextal, Buddy Ryan, Andre "Dirty" Watters, Alan Iverson, Charles Barkley, John Kruck etc. Philly's version of a Champion is punk/GM Bobby Clarke? Please. As for the Eagles, what's the significance of the name Norm Snead? That's who they traded Sonny Jurgensen to Washington for. Oops.

My Father in Law insisted that I had to root for the Eagles in this game because my wife's brother currently resides in that city. Yeah, right. I'm sure he'll root for the Skins because I'm in DC. Uh huh.

As for the SuperBowl, I think the Pats will do it. The Panthers are good, but the Pats have a better defense, than the Panthers, and Tom Brady is a more accurate QB in the short game than McNabb is. Ultimately, the Pats get the not because their D and special teams are better. I think the Panthers will run the ball with some success, but they simply won't score enough on the Pats to win the game. It'll be a great, nasty, physical SB with lots of hitting, and a potentially close low scoring game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home